Jyväskylä University Main Building

The main building of Jyväskylä University was built in 1956 and is one of the most significant works of Alvar Aalto's red brick era. The indoor spaces are divided into three zones: the administrative part, the assembly hall and the library, which are bound together by a transit hall. The building is conserved as a part of Seminaarimäki.

After the renovation, when the rectors of the University move to the administrative wing, the original spatial stucture can be restored by taking down walls that were added later. The architectural status of the library's lobby and the library room itself will be emphasized by restoring and opening new connections to the adjoining rooms. The ventilation in the assembly hall will be upgraded. The design will be made in close co-operation with the National Board of the Antiquities and the Alvar Aalto Museum Architectural Heritage Department. The project will be executed as a 3D data model in all levels of design and engineering. The combined data models will be used in the integration of different systems of building services and in energy simulations.

Location: Jyväskylä
Initiated: 2012
Client: Suomen Yliopistokiinteistöt Oy
Designers: Jyrki Iso-Aho,
Päivi Vaheri